Bacon Curing Bags are an EASY way to make artisan bacon at home without the fuss and mess of mixing the cure for the bacon. Not only is this easy, but you can determine how lean you want the bacon and other choices now at your disposal.
All you need is a bag with the premixed cure and 1.5 to 2 kg of pork belly. You just need to make sure that the skin is removed. Mix and cure for 10 days. Easy!
Bacon Curing Bag
- 1 Bacon Curing Bag
- 2 kg Pork Belly Deskinned
- Select a 1.5 to 2 kg pork belly. Cut to as square as feasible. Make sure the skin is removed. Rinse and pat dry.
- Insert pork into bag, zip lock it, and shake until pork is completely coated with the spices.
- Note date and store in the refrigerator for 10 days. Every day or so flip the bag to ensure pork is still completely coated. Liquid may form and that is fine.
- Take the cured pork out of the bag, rinse, and soak it in cool clear water for 4 hours to remove excess salt.
- OPTIONAL: For more flavor, you can smoke the bacon using hickory or other hardwood chips. Slow cook the pork until the internal temperature of the pork is 65C.
- Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to cool it down. This will make cutting a lot easier.
- You now have bacon to slice up and fry as normal. Enjoy!