While Thai Beef is not that great, the pork is fine. So why not make yummy home made bacon?
The really important ingredients here are the Pink Curing Salt #1 and, of course, the bacon. All the additional spices can be swapped out to your liking. Want to add chili flakes? That would be awesome. Don’t like garlic? Don’t add any! Maybe substitute the brown sugar with maple syrup. You can get additional flavor if you have a smoker and some hickory chips.
As always, do not ingest the cure mixture directly after you have added the Pink Curing Salt.
Once you’ve made this, how about sharing it with the rest of us by posting pictures on our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asiaartisan
Garlic Pepper Home Made Bacon Cure
- 0.25 cup Salt
- 0.5 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 TBSP Course Black Pepper
- 0.25 tsp Ground Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Granulated Onion
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 0.5 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp Pink Curing Salt #1
- 1.5 kg Pork Belly
- In a plastic container mix all the ingredients EXCEPT THE CURING SALT! Five the mixture a taste and adjust to your liking. After you have made it the way you want, add the Pink Curing Salt. Do NOT ingest the curing salt directly else you will become ill.
- Place the curing mixture in a large plastic zip lock bag. One that is large enough to hold all the pork. And slip the pork into the bag with the mixture. Shake the bag up to completely coat the pork.
- Place the bag in a refrigerator for a minimum of 7 days. 10 days would be better. Flip the bag ever other day or so to keep things even.
- After the 7-10 days, remove the bag from the fridge and give it a smell test. If it smells bad, the something went wrong and you chuck it into the trash. Give it another try making sure you completely coat the pork.
- Smells yummy? Rinse off the pork completely and pat dry.
- Set your oven to 95C and cook until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 65C. This will take 2-3 hours.
- It is now bacon. Cool the bacon down and place in the refrigerator for a few hours. This makes cutting a lot easier.